Daniel Boone: whatever happened to Jemima?
Will Dockery
2006-08-30 19:24:21 UTC
Whatever happened to Jemima?

The Ben Franklin episode's running now on TVLand's Daniel Boone
broadcasts,
one of the best black-n-white episodes I've caught... it starts with
Rebecca
and the two children, Jemima and Israel... which brings a question
nagging
me, although I'm sure ya'll have covered it at length in the past...
whatever happened to Jemima? In the Daniel Boone biography, she's one
of the
constant figures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Boone

According to one story, Boone was gone for so long that Rebecca assumed
he
was dead, and began a relationship with his brother Edward ("Ned"),
giving
birth to daughter Jemima in 1762. Upon his return, the story goes,
Boone was
understanding and did not blame Rebecca. Whether the tale is true or
not is
uncertain, but Boone raised Jemima as his own child. Boone's early
biographers knew this story but did not publish
it.[6]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Boone#_note-5>

[...]

On 14 July <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_14>
1776<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1776>,
Boone's daughter Jemima and two other teenage girls were captured
outside
Boonesborough by a war party of two Cherokee and three Shawnee men. The
Indians, led by the Cherokee Hanging
Maw<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_Maw>,
carried the girls north towards the Shawnee towns in the Ohio country.
Boone
and a group of men from Boonesborough followed in pursuit, finally
catching
up with them two days later. Boone and his men ambushed the Indians
while
they were stopped for a meal, rescuing the girls and driving off their
captors. The incident became the most celebrated event of Boone's life.
James
Fenimore Cooper <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Fenimore_Cooper>
created
a fictionalized version of the episode in his classic book *The Last of
the
Mohicans <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_of_the_Mohicans>*
(1826).

[...]

During Boone's absence, his wife and children (except for Jemima) had
returned to North Carolina, fearing that he was dead. Upon his return
Boonesborough
----

...And so on.

So, obviously Jemima is gone in the later episodes, my question is was
there
ever any explanation of her being off-camera, I do remember reading a
passing mention that she was simply dropped from the plot... so when
did
Jemima last appear? Any clues to where she supposedly was?

--
"Ozone Stigmata" by Will Dockery
http://www.myspace.com/willdockery

The Ride (Combat Zone) by Shadowville All-Stars
Video by Janis Petersen:

Guv BoB
2006-08-31 07:29:22 UTC
Daniel Boone in NC...

"...in 1750 [Boone's father] sold his land and moved the family to North
Carolina. Daniel Boone did not attend church again, although he always
considered himself a Christian and had all of his children baptized. The
Boones eventually settled on the Yadkin River, in what is now Davie County,
North Carolina, about 2 miles (3 km) west of Mocksville.[4]
http://youtu.be/3D9lZ3VAmNTWc